Sunday, August 07, 2005

Sometimes humor is the only thing that gets you through.

Humorist Dave Berry's daughter has just entered kindergarten in Florida and with his first column on the subject containing:

Among the children who will be trudging into Miami-Dade schools on Monday is my 5-year-old daughter, who enters kindergarten this year. When my wife told me the date our daughter would start school, my fifth question was: ``Why?''

(My first four questions, in order, were: ''Aug. 8?'' ''Did you say Aug. 8?'' ''You mean, like, the eighth day of AUGUST?'' ``Are they INSANE??'')


and

Last year, school started in the third week in August; this year it's the second week. If this keeps up it's only a matter of time before we're starting the school year around Memorial Day, which means parents will have to go on their family vacations without taking their actual families, keeping in touch with their children by postcard. (''Dear Dylan -- Disney World is great! Wish you were here! How do you like second grade?'') From the Miami Herald.


I can hardly wait to see how long he manages to put up with it.

(Thanks Elizabeth.)

No comments: