Tuesday, January 13, 2009

You got a problem with me being Speaker?

Here's the exchange between brand new Tennessee
Speaker of the House Rep. Kent Williams (R-Elizabethton)
and Rep. Mike Kelsey (R-Germantown) when Kelsey asked for clarification on Williams' previous statement about Jimmy Naifeh (D-Covington) conducting the day's session.

Don't overlook the private comment that starts this clip from Williams to Naifeh which is "Do I have to recognize him?" To his credit Naifeh tells Williams yes.

2 comments:

N.S. Allen said...

Rep. Williams doesn't sound like the brightest lightbulb around, does he?

I'd try to be charitable and note that extended tenure in a legislative body in the modern U.S. tends to make people speak laughably for some reason, but he's so far down on the House's seniority list that I don't think he gets that excuse.

On a more general note, I can't say that I think that, policy-wise, this will have any great effect on the quality of the work done by the TN Legislature. As I've said before, I don't particularly trust either of TN's major parties to do much good.

In purely political terms, though, this has just brightened my day.

ned said...

Class act, huh?

Thanks for posting this, Kay.