Thursday, January 22, 2009

For x 4 x 2 = 8 votes

We're back from voting. I hate waiting until actual voting day but the Election Commission made it very inconvenient by breaking precedent and only holding early voting at their location downtown. That and the expected wait in line kept us home until today. Thankfully, it didn't snow today, it wasn't too cold, the car worked and no one was sick.

I've pointed out in several posts why I voted FOR English as our government's official language and following the "English as Official Language" link below will call them up for your review. I am concerned about the unintended consequences of bad translations. I am concerned about the division accommodating various languages will create in what has been our 'melting pot' society.

Regarding Amendment #2 I also voted for it because it will create clarity in the process and bring stability to the number of names needed on a petition to change the charter. As it stands now the number varies widely as it is determined by the number of people who voted in the last election. Timing a petition just right could mean the difference between 2,500 signatures and 25,000. Seems to me that higher and more consistent bar based on registered voters is wiser.

Interesting side note...our electricity went out while I was writing this post. Reporting it to NES meant I had to "Press 1 for English". So that's twice today I've pressed a button FOR English.

No comments: