Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Predatory taxes

"I want the Predators to stay here. They are a very integral part of our city,'' said 4th District Councilman Michael Craddock. "That said, I cannot support any proposal that would further burden the taxpayer in any shape, form or fashion."

Craddock and Arnett Bodenhamer, a member of the sports authority's executive committee, said they wanted any new tax dollars used on public safety or education, not on sports teams. Tennessean

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Government was NOT created to ensure recreational opportunities for its citizens, or neighboring citizens. Let the team sink or swim on its merits as judged by actual ticket buyers. If they don't find the team worth supporting--how dare government pick the pocket of families who have needs that take precedence over the entertainment of others.

I'm not picking on the Predators. I felt the same about the Titans, the symphony, the Sounds, the arena. I feel the same in regard to council discretionary funding. If it's such a good idea--you pay for it. If they can't persuade me to personally donate to the cause---they shouldn't take the back door of using the government to take my money.

UPDATED Thanks:

[The Preds reach for a source of revenue that the city relies on to repay our collective debt on the Sommet Center.]
But much of the sales tax and seat use fee revenue helps pay off the city's debt on the facility, and giving it to the Predators would require Metro government to make it up somehow.

"For me right now, that's the biggest question," said Erik Cole, chairman of the Metro Council's Budget and Finance Committee. "I certainly don't want to do anything that undercuts our ability to repay those bonds."

and

Councilman Jim Gotto of Hermitage said he had not seen the proposal but knows where he stands philosophically.

"I have an open mind about this until you tell me you're going to stick your hand in the taxpayers' pockets again," Gotto said. "The proof will be in the pudding." Tennessean

No comments: