Thursday, October 18, 2007

It belongs to all Tennesseans

Rep. Gary Odom (D-Nashville) in response to objections from the Tennessee Center for Policy Research for including the state seal on his fundraising literature :

“I think the state seal belongs to all Tennesseans,” he says. “I don't think anyone has a monopoly on it. I've got it on my door. I've got it on my stationery and on my card and so does my staff and so does most every legislator down there. To me, it's like the state flag. It's a symbol of our great state. And it sounds a little trivial to me when someone starts questioning how it's used and when it's used. The Republican Senate caucus website has a state seal on it. A lot of individual senators and representatives on both sides of the aisle have it on their websites. I've got it here on my notepad. It's everywhere.” Via PITW (adult site).
And so it is------->>>>^^^

This from TCPR:
Using the State Seal in this way does not violate Tennessee law, but it does run contrary to the State Constitution, which says that the Seal "shall be kept by the governor, and used by him officially." The Tennessee Center for Policy Research is asking all legislators – particularly those in leadership such as Odom – to stop using the State Seal when sending invitations to fundraisers.

Here's Odom's $1,000 a plate invitation.

3 comments:

Buckley said...

I ran against Odom in a primary once so I know how hard it is to come up with dirt on him, but this is laughable. If this is the best TCPR can come up with, state Democrats should make him Speaker before we lose the House. Naifeh's had the position long enough.

Tom

Kay Brooks said...

Hey, I'm all for Naifeh being replaced.

Jim Boyd said...

Kay!

I’ve tricked out my campaign site with the Tennessee State Seal!!

Tell me what you think!

www.votejimboyd.com