Monday, August 04, 2008

Orientation day

I spent a couple of hours this morning at Isaac Litton Middle School. It was orientation day. Thanks to rezoning they're getting a bunch of new students. I was assigned duty in the front hall in order to direct folks where to go based on their child's grade level. Lots of moms or dads and a surprising number of grandparents brought their children in. It was good to see several of the old staff there and I met a few new ones. Their new computer teacher was bit surprised to see a homeschool parent helping out. I know it's a bit odd, but we've all got to step in when and where we can. I'm happy to point people in the right direction and free up staff for more important tasks.

I'm thankful for the Sam's Clubs, the Music City Motorplex and the Country Music Association that can invest big dollars into our schools, but there is plenty of opportunity for regular folks with even just a few hours available to invest in the lives of these younger citizens of our city. Call your local school and ask if there is anything you can do to help.

No comments: