Tuesday, August 26, 2008

At least he wasn't drunk

Proof that Tennessee House committee assignments are not made on the basis of understanding the topic might be found in today's Memphis Commercial Appeal story that Rep. G. A. Hardaway (D-Memphis) was arrested in Mississippi for driving on a suspended license and not having proof of insurance. Hardaway was on the Transportation and Public Safety Committees last legislative session.

Hardaway said in a telephone interview today that he didn’t know his license had been suspended. “If I had known, I wouldn’t have been driving,” he said. The legislator said that he had his attorney check into the matter today and that it is still unclear to him why his license was suspended.

“I was told it was for ‘obedience to devices’ and your guess on what that is, is as good as mine. I got a notice about a year ago saying that I had a violation that needs to be taken care of. I thought it had been. I’m not laying blame on anybody; I accept full responsibility.”

It does make you wonder, though, if it's possible for Democrat legislators from Memphis to stay out of trouble.

2 comments:

N.S. Allen said...

The TN Democratic Party is a constant source of disappointment for me. In terms of policy, they're scantly better than the Republicans, if at all. In terms of ethics, they're much better established and hence much more (overtly, at least) corrupt. And, having volunteered for the party, I know for a fact that, in terms of campaigning, they pretty much suck.

Sigh.

Eric H said...

More importantly, do Mississippi police officers take Gateway exams?

That traffic stop could have been made by illegitimate high school graduates.