Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Nashville Sales Tax vote

I'm headed out the door to cast my "Against" vote. I'm not voting against because I hate children. I've got four that are more precious to me than life. Their friends are gems. And I fully realize that the children of today will be ruling my world tomorrow. I WANT these children to be well educated. I'm not voting against because I hate old poor people. Such just isn't the case. I value my elders. Their wisdom and love for me have been life savers more than once. It was they that taught me that spending more money on a product doesn't equal the right product or even an excellent one.

I object to the Nashville Tomorrow folks saying in yesterday's press release:

Please tell all of your friends that a half-cent increase in the local sales tax now could prevent a 38-cent property tax hike in the next two years.
Well it could...but it's a long way from guarantee. And for them to link the two is misleading.

I'm voting against because I'm completely unconvinced that the money the school district is already getting is being wisely and efficiently spent. I'm unconvinced that school money won't be 'bait & switched' out of the general fund and schools will become dependent upon the fluctuating sales tax which I consider very foolish. I'm unconvinced that the council will always provide property tax relief to seniors every year in exchange for this raise in the sales tax.

At the very least this ordinance was poorly written lacking just the sort of guarantees and accountability any financial bill ought to have. At the worst, many of us are being manipulated for political purposes and our children and elderly are their pawns.

The tool I have at this moment to make it clear to the education system that the quality of their product is sub par and needs serious improvement is via the ballot box. And so here I go. Whether you agree with me or not, I hope to see you there.


Here's a link to my previous post with details about just what we're voting on for your information.

http://kaybrooks.blogspot.com/2005/08/what-is-nashville-voting-on.html

No comments: