Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Largess of .0975%

Senator Haynes sent me a postcard.
One line says:

"A common sense State budget includes sales tax relief for you and less business lost to other states."
Until he leads the House in rolling back the tax on food, entirely, and returning to me and my family our portion of the $1,000,000,000 we've been overtaxed and putting into place constraints to keep that over reaching from happening again (something sturdier than the Copeland Cap). I won't believe a word he says or prints on this issue.

Sen. Haynes, I've been running a household budget for six some 20+years now. I've figured out that a savings of .0975 is rarely something to get all excited about. A sale of 10% at any store doesn't even get my attention. Usually, with careful shopping, stocking up and checking competitive ads (normal SOP around here) I can save much more than that. .0975% isn't worth driving up to Rivergate to fight the crowds of folks who think that this is a good deal. Especially when the state taxes me 21.4 cents per gallon to drive up there.

Frankly, I'm offended by this slick oversized announcement of your largess. I'd like REAL tax relief instead.

UPDATE: This morning at 8:16 a.m. I got a robo-call from State Rep. Mike Turner reminding me of the sales tax holiday.

No comments: