The Nashville Peace & Justice Center is hosting a phone bank against the Metro Charter Amendment requiring English to be the official language of Metro Nashville. No real surprise there. If it's left leaning--NPJC is usually involved. According to the announcement they sent out they'll be calling people every Monday and Thursday night until January 22.
Fellow tenants at their 4732 West Longdale Drive leftist mail drop facility include:
Americans United for Separation of Church and State
Interfaith Alliance of Middle Tennessee (apparently they've recently moved)
United Nations Association Nashville
Below is the NPJC's list of member organizations from their website. Oddly, their 990 for 2007 lists income from 29 member organizations but they currently only list 22.
- Americans United for Separation of Church and State
- BURNT: Bring Urban Recycling to Nashville Today
- Common Cause
- Cumberland Greens
- Earth Matters
- Emma Center ("The center is dedicated to the memory of Emma Goldman, 20th century feminist and anarchist..." and the contact is Chris Lugo)
- First Unitarian Universalist Church: Social Concerns & Actions Committee
- Friends Meeting (Quaker)
- Greater Nashville Unitarian Universalist Church
- Interfaith Alliance
- MidEast Peace Coalition Middle TN Presbyterian Peace with Justice Committee
- Nashville Homeless Power Project
- Peace Roots Alliance (at The Farm in Summertown, TN)
- National Organization for Women (NOW) (No local listing. Here's the national gang.)
- Progreso Community Center
- Radio Free Nashville
- Tennessee Coalition to Abolish State Killing (TCASK)
- Tennessee Equality Project (TEP)
- Tennessee Immigrant and Refugee Rights Coalition (TIRRC) (a subsidiary of LaRaza)
- Veterans for Peace
- United Nations Association
- War Resisters League
The NPJC 990 also lists over $16,000 in program expenses for "Hispanic Program-Progreso Community Center: See attached" but there is no attachment to explain the expenses.
Seems only fair that if they're going to throw associations around as a reason to discredit the effort and not to vote for English as the official language for Metro we ought to be able to point out theirs.
UPDATE: Red Hat Rob provides more details of Chris Lugo's Emma Goldman. Apparently, anarchist is an understatement. Terrorism goes back a long way folks. Rob's writes...
By tieing themselves to Emma Goldman, [Nashville Peace & Justice Center] are throwing in their lot with the founders of political terrorism and assasination.
UPDATE II: I've been accused of deliberately posting the home addresses of the NPJC officers. It wasn't my intention at all to put them in harms way and in an abundance of caution I've obliterated their street addresses. I would never want anyone to replicate David Lowe's threats against Councilman Eric Crafton.