Thursday, August 16, 2007

Your always on my mind

Back during the budget battle, when I was astonished we had a surplus of $1.5 BILLION + and was asking for my food tax money back I e-mailed the Governor. His response came today with apologies for the delay.

Frankly, I don't believe he'll actually be keeping my comments in mind when we go 'round this mulberry bush next spring. It's a lame excuse and poorly timed to arrive while the electric bill is on my mind.

-----Original Message-----
From: phil.bredesen@state.tn.us [mailto:phil.bredesen@state.tn.us]
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2007 4:37 PM
To:
Subject: Responding to your message

Dear Friend:

Thank you for contacting me regarding Tennessee's 2007-2008 budget. First, however, I want to apologize for the delay in responding to your letter. A transition within our constituent services staff resulted in a failure in our system for responding to citizens in a timely manner. While those issues have been addressed, I regret the delay in responding to your concerns.

One of my top priorities as Governor is bringing financial responsibility to Tennessee. I have always believed that sound fiscal discipline and a hard look at our priorities is the way to do this. In early June, my 2007-2008 budget proposal was adopted by the General Assembly with strong bi-partisan support. This common sense balanced budget funds historic investments in education while maintaining our commitments to job creation, public safety, conservation and other priorities.

Over the past few years, we proved that we can manage in the tough times. This session proves we can maintain our discipline in the good times. Our record funding for education and the rainy day reserve are smart investments in the future of Tennessee - investments that we will leverage to set higher standards for educational performance and greater accountability for results. I look forward to working with the General Assembly to make sure Tennessee is on the right path to become a nation wide leader in education.

Again, thank you for your interest and comments concerning our budgetary process. I will keep your comments in mind while we work to provide a balanced budget that provides the best possible opportunities and resources for all of our citizens.

Warmest regards,

Phil Bredesen

2 comments:

Mike said...

What an amazing oincidence, I got the exact same reply yesterday....

You'd think the high dollar staff could figure out a better reply and get them out in a reasonable time.....

I fogot, they don't really work for us, now do they?

Eric H said...

"One of my top priorities as Governor is bringing financial responsibility to Tennessee"

The terms "utter and complete failure " come to mind...

"...my 2007-2008 budget proposal was adopted by the General Assembly with strong bi-partisan support."

Translation: They are ALL crooks.

"Over the past few years, we proved that we can manage in the tough times"

With record-breaking tax increases, blown surpluses, and unconstitutional budget-setting, who couldn't "manage"?