Thursday, March 08, 2007

Heads up: TeenScreen at Hume Fogg

TeenScreen is scheduled for Hume Fogg High School this Tuesday and Wednesday March 13 & 14. Concerned and interested parents will want to read the information packet very carefully and do some research on their own about the program before returning those permission forms.

Previous posts:

http://kaybrooks.blogspot.com/2007/03/teenscreen.html
http://kaybrooks.blogspot.com/2007/02/wednesday-22807.html (last entry).

UPDATE: Yes, the Tennessee Voices for Children group is sponsoring this effort as I suspected would be the case in last Wednesday's post.

Here's the material and permission slip going home with students (page one of this .pdf was the fax cover sheet from Hume Fogg). I wouldn't call this informed consent at all--but then again, I'm just a parent, not a medical professional.

They offer parents the opportunity to review the materials. Hopefully, on an actual parent copy they give you actual contact information to do this. With something as controversial as TeenScreen I'd think that to be a very good idea.

There is reference to a student 'assent' form, a copy of which isn't provided.

They deny that this is funded by the pharmaceutical companies. Well, since they just got $2.8 million from the Feds--I guess they can use that pharma money for lights and computers instead.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kay -- As a prent of a student at Hume Fogg I cannot thank you enough for the heads up on this! I will not consent to my son being "screened". I am surprised HumeFogg is doing this. I will see if I can learn more.

Thanks again--

Kay Brooks said...

Glad to have been of help. I'll be very interested in seeing what else you learn.

Anonymous said...

Kay -- even though i will not let my child participate in teen screen, after reading an item on Polski3's blog about cutting, there are kids out there that needs this -- drug company backed or not. This is really sad and scary --

http://www.polski3.blogspot.com/

Eric Holcombe said...

NAMI is making efforts to get the camel's nose in state wide, lobbying for HB1012 to require K-12 teachers to have "early onset" mental illness recognition training in order to keep their license.

http://tinyurl.com/yvzdg9

Move to about 22 minutes in.

Tiffany said...

The TeenScreen program helps children. They are not out to get children hooked on pharmaceuticals. Real children who are on the brink of suicide get helped.

Kay Brooks said...

That may be the case for a few, Tiffany. But any legitimate program should fully disclose to parents exactly what is going on and provide a clear and explicit opt IN provision. No parent should suddenly discover that their child was subjected to mental health screenings without their informed consent.

Unknown said...

No parent should suddenly discover that their child was subjected to mental health I am surprised HumeFogg is doing this. I will see if I can learn more.
------------
pamban23

Tennessee Drug Treatment